Coal plants in Italy
Italy imports via sea about 90% of its coal demand, on a fleet composed by 60 ships with a carrying capacity of 4,6 million of tons. Import countries are different: the main ones are the USA, South Africa, Australia, Indonesia and Colombia, but there are also Canada, Cina, Russia and Venezuela.
The only coal source in Italy is located in Sulcis Iglesiente basin, in South-West of Sardinia. In 1972 mining activities in this basin were suspended but since 1997 the basin has been studied by several researchers in order to evaluate new solutions to use in an environmental friendly way the coal of Sulcis. At present, the production is about 1 Million tons yearly. Italian operators have in pipeline projects for the conversion of coal of a big part of their production and for the deployment of existing plants never used for coal combustion.
- Plant of North Brindisi (BR) owned by A2A SpA. The company Uses coal in 2 sections of 320MW.
- Plant of Fiumesanto (SS): owned by EP PRODUZIONE (EPH) has got 2 sections of 320 MW.
- Plant of Monfalcone (GO) in Friuli Venezia Giulia region: owned by A2A, is made of 4 sections, two fuelled by coal of 165 and 171 MW and two by burning oil of 320 MW.
- Plant of North Torrevaldaliga (Civitavecchia, RM) owned by ENEL SpA, is composed by three sections of 660 MW, that have been completely converted from oil to coal. The plant is in production since 2009.
- Plant of Vado Ligure, owned by TIRRENO POWER, is made of 4 sections of which two of 330 MW each fuelled by coal.
- Plant of Brescia owned by ASM of Brescia is made of one section of 70 MW and is fuelled by coal.
- Plant of South Brindisi, owned by ENEL, is made of two sections of 660 MW each fuelled by coal. The development of a pilot plant of 50 MW with CO2 capture and sequestration technology is currently in progress. The construction is part of the agreement between ENI and ENEL signed in October 2008 and aimed at developing CCS technology at industrial level.
- Plant of Genoa, owned by ENEL SpA, is made by two units fuelled by coal, one of 150 MW, two of 75 MW.
- Plant of Sulcis owned by ENEL SpA, is made of one unit of 240 MW fuelled by coal and one unit of 340 MW.
- Plant of Fusina (Veneto) owned by ENEL SpA, is made of two of 320 MW fuelled by coal.
- Plant of La Spezia owned by ENEL SpA is made of four units of which one is of 600 MW and is fuelled by coal.
- Plant of Bastardo (Perugia) owned by ENEL SpA is made of two units of 75 MW fuelled by coal.